Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Don't go the Paleo way

Because that may demonstrate to you what complete and utter crap the Dietitians Association of Australia has been spruiking for as long as they've existed.

Their latest press release - Dietitians are completely clueless, just ask us!

A quick nod to Pete Evans, who alerted me (not personally) to the latest brilliance from the DAA. Pete is one of the plague of celebrity chefs around these parts, but he's one of the few who isn't shy about acknowledging; fat = flavour = for fruck's sake, add some more. He shows guts where others bow to the pressure of expert dogma*.


Pete
Look, I don't eat "The Paleo Way" and I don't even know what that really means with any certainty - the paleo mob seem to change the rules whenever they feel like it. But I do know that it's a hell of a lot healthier and intelligent than anything shat out of your typical dietitian's mouth.

It's increasingly popular among the citizens and the experts in nutrition don't like it. How dare the unwashed ignore our advice!

Some sadly predictable quotes from the press release:

"According to the Dietitians Association of Australia’s CEO Claire Hewat, the scientific evidence to support eating like our Palaeolithic ancestors just doesn’t stack up. And she goes as far as to call the diet potentially dangerous."

That must be why the human race was on the verge of extinction thousands of years ago - surviving only from offspring of the few vegan non-conformists.

"rather than getting on the latest fad diet bandwagon, I urge Australians to become familiar with the Dietary Guidelines and to seek expert nutrition advice from an Accredited Practicing Dietitian"

Ms Hewat is quite the comedienne. The Guidelines...ha.

To translate the press release:  the paleo diet is a fad, it's dangerous, it's expensive and unrealistic. The DAA is trustworthy and they base all their advice on irrefutable research and facts.


www.cheezburger.com
*There's nothing quite as awkward as watching a chef on TV cook something rustic and traditional, only to swap a vital ingredient for something low fat. Jamie Oliver did this for a while and he's not alone in cutting back on the butter because he'll likely be shouted down by a bandwagon full of people who've made a profession out of being perpetually offended or outraged . So sad.


17 comments:

  1. Yes a fad, just like low carb, gluten free and ketogenic diets are all fads. They will all kill me since I've been on all of them and am now dead. It's just the death throes of Dieticians and Nutritionists all over the world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smugness seems to be only matched by their narrow-mindedness.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. As the saying goes...if this is wrong, I don't wanna be right. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Gwen. I could go back to eating shedloads of bread and pasta. It would no doubt reduce my LDL-C to what is considered 'safe'. It would also add at least 5kg to my gut, and reverse every other positive change that I've seen since taking those foods off my plate. I'd have to be a special brand of stupid.

      Delete
  3. I was listening on the radio this morning to a prediction that the health care costs in America will in the not too distant future outstrip the GDP revenue. How can we manage?

    I hope what I'm doing to optimize my health doesn't leave me stuck being a caregiver for all those people shoveling "healthwholegrains" into their mouths. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A scary thought, JanKnitz. We should probably all buy shares in Nursing Homes. Business is set to boom.

      Delete
    2. yes, I DO invest with current problems in mind! ;-) so far it's working. but if I help put "myself" out of business by spreading the dietary good news, i'd be pleased with THAT, too!

      Delete
  4. The guy Bill in comments here is perfect example of what we are up against denial...denial...http://scepticalnutritionist.com.au/?p=1523

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy crap, JasmineJohend. I think I lost 2 IQ points just reading the first paragraph. And yes, Bill sounds like he'd be the life of any party.

      Have a good one.

      Delete
    2. Better run out and eat some whole wheat bread. You'll get beriberi if you don't! Ay, I can feel my fingers tingling already!

      Delete
    3. The beri beri claim illustrates perfectly the ignorance of basic nutritional principles in what is taught as nutrition today;
      It has been known since the year dot - since the 1930s at least - that diets high in fat and protein prevent thiamine deficiency.
      This is because the main requirement for thiamine is in glycolytic enzymes.
      I guess there is so much crap about cholesterol in text books these days, they've had to cut the basics to make room for it.

      Delete
  5. Most dietitians are my nemesis. They rank alongside the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Grim reapers selling a diet of death. They are bought and payed for, but not all. Stand by for my hall of fame post on the great dietitians, placing their patients first, and turning their backs on the old dogma and bent science so many rigidly adhere to.

    Regards Eddie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Eddie.

      Being a child of the 80's, the 4 horseman comment made me think of Dawn French being squashed by a giant sandwich.

      "Death...want a game of travel scrabble?"

      Man, I'm so old.

      Delete
  6. Oh yeah, and Team Keto/Paleo poster boy Jimmy Moore is a STUNNING endorsement of this way of eating. Sticks of butter, anyone?

    Carbsane is the only voice of reason in the entire Paleosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About bloody time you showed up, Christopher. I was beginning to feel left out.

      I have no interest in those people, so can't/don't want to comment. Have a good one.

      Delete
  7. Chips your blog is clearly taking off big time when Christopher/Carbsane aka the bloated blogger turns up.She has never lowered herself to make an appearance on our down market organ. That being said, her stooges have plagued us at times, don't be surprised if Grizzly Grashow turns up. Most of her goons have been banned from so many blogs, the asylum is the only safe haven, imagine a sort of skid row for wannabe intellectuals and academics.

    Many say don't feed the trolls, I prefer to eat them. They are a bit tough and gristly but usually lot's of fat on 'em. We call them free range rude, and by the cringe, they are the easiest people to wind up on the planet.

    Have a great weekend bro

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eddie, you gave me my first LOL all day! I look forward to someday meeting you and the lovely Jan.

      Delete