Friday, 6 February 2015

Cereal Killers 2 - first impressions

I watched Cereal Killers last year and was quite impressed. Not overly hysterical about the benefits of carbohydrate restriction, it portrayed a fairly level-headed explanation of the science involved. 

So when I became aware of the Kickstarter campaign for a sequel, I was happy enough to make a small donation. I didn't expect to be offered an advance (screener) copy of the film, but that is what happened the other day - a downloadable HD quality version - woo hoo! I love nice surprises.

Cereal Killers 2 - Run on Fat (CK2) focuses on high performance athletes and argues that high fat nutrition may have certain benefits over the traditional carb-loading approach. Not surprisingly, Steve Phinney gets a fair bit of air time - which was good because, regardless of what you think of his research, he speaks well and provides his opinion in a calm, easy to listen to manner.

The 1 hour doco follows (for the most part) the charismatic entrepreneur/iron man Sami Inkinen and his wife Meredith as they attempt a casual rowing trip from California to Hawaii with a diet of 76% fat, 15% protein and 9% carbs - roughly 8,000 calories a day for him and 5,000 for Meredith. Sami is one of those overachiever types that make me feel tired just watching him, but that accent of his is hard not to like.

I won't explain any more about the film because it is due for public release next month, but I can safely recommend you buy a copy when it comes out. Yes, there may be some or a lot of information that you know already, but it is presented in a way, using many examples from high performance athletes, that held my attention for the entire duration.

I have no doubt that some people will hate this documentary with a passion. There will be foaming at the mouth and accusations of bias and propaganda, I guarantee it. I know for certain there will be potatoes thrown at TVs when Phinney mentions certain indigenous peoples of North America.

If you think the message is nonsense or doesn't apply to you because you're not an athlete, that's fine, but taking into consideration the producer's budget and target audience, I think they did a very good job at putting their argument across.









1 comment:

  1. Hi Chips

    Just stopping by to say, thanks for the info .......

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete