Tuesday, 9 June 2015

Stupity is legal, why not same sex marriage?

My daughter plays netball.

While that is immensely fascinating in itself, netball is fairly high on the list of sports that frustrate the hell out of me, mainly due to the fact that you're not allowed to tackle the opposition. I'm fairly sure that the sport would attract a lot more spectators and sponsors if the umpires stopped shouting "contact, wing defence" every 10 seconds. For Odin's sake, let wing defence hit the wing attack in a hard-but-fair front-on tackle and there's a good chance I'll watch a game that doesn't feature my offspring.

The only reason I prefer netball to soccer is that there is almost zero chance of a nil-all draw in netball. It can come pretty close when the game is being played by 10 year olds, but my daughter likes the game, it's good exercise and it gets us out of the house on a Wednesday arvo.

There's a girl on my daughter's team who is struggling with her weight. It's great that she's playing sport that she enjoys, but it quickly became obvious the cards are stacked heavily against her efforts when I observed her parents and siblings on the sideline. Her parents are usually hoeing into a bucket of hot chips or something deep fried in vegetable oil. Her younger sister is about 5 and appears to be either genetically gifted or hates the taste of sugar and starch. Her brother, going by his height and the nappy he was wearing, I estimate to be somewhere between 2 and 2 and a half. To be blunt, he's a porker, and I noticed his Mum gave him a can of coke to go with his hot chips.

It's not often I get all judgey and internally outraged at crappy public parenting. I realise parenting is hard work and sometimes the urge is overwhelming to just say "you know what, fuck it, eat pizza in front of the TV, I need some peace and quiet or I'm pretty sure I'm going to blow a fuse and start yelling and once I start yelling I won't be able to stop before everyone is sad and goes to bed in a shitty mood."

But I reckon some things fall in to the common sense category of "stuff not to allow humans in your care to ingest". Coke might not be as dangerous as drain cleaner, but it's still a really stupid thing to give your toddler, let alone a child of any age.

Why does this post appear to have zero relevance to the title I gave it? Hold your horses, I'm getting to it.

I don't pay a lot of interest to the reasons some give as to why they oppose same sex marriage. In my mind, it's none of anyone's business who someone else marries, but apparently one of the main reasons, apart from it being a slippery slope that will inevitably lead to the old bloke down the street marrying his axolotl, is that it's harmful to any children they might adopt or give birth to.
More Tom Tomorrow here

My opinion doesn't matter any more than the bigots who think this, but suffice to say I think their opinion is bullshit. Parents everywhere are regularly feeding their kids stupid crap like coke and chips and regardless of whether they gain weight or not, their internal organs are very unlikely to be enjoying the "nutrients". This slow but sure abuse of a child's internals is not illegal, because, unfortunately, stupidity is not illegal. Stupid people breeding is also not illegal. 

Ireland is the latest country to legalise same sex marriage. Australia is currently having the debate of whether or not to join the 21st century and do the same. You'd be correct in assuming it's been a predictable debate so far, given a lot of our law makers are shit-for-brains bigots who conveniently use their religious bias when it suits them, but not when they make policy allowing abuse and torture of kids who have attempted to seek asylum in our country.

Politicians and adults who let their kids drink coke = stupidity or laziness or ignorance or perhaps a combination of all three. A gay couple may have one or more of these attributes but, unlike the former two examples, it's not guaranteed. 

If you're not going to stop the idiots and politicians from marrying each other and breeding, why stop anyone else?

Marina's new album is out, and it's pretty good. My wife hates it but she hates all the music I like. Absolutely safe to play to your kids.






8 comments:

  1. When it comes to food and eating, too many people have a wrong set of instincts. For better or for worse, people also rely mostly on instincts rearing their children. Even when parents act intelligently around children's diet, grandparents could play a negative role in a misguided attempt to express their love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, but grandparents can be more sensible sometimes. My brother and his wife gave meat to their grandson when he was at their house. His parents were vegan potheads.

      My grandmother may have given me bad food like sugary cereal and lemon pie, but I'm still grateful for those badly needed tokens of love. (And it was only one week out of the year.)

      Delete
    2. Sure, it could be all way around. It is hard to judge loving relatives and parents. My own mom insisted on me eating everything with a slice of bread, or she thought I would be hungry before next meal. She couldn't believe me it was just opposite because she never tried, but she did.
      My mom put my first skies and skates on me when I was 3 years old and didn't stop there, due to her efforts during my childhood it was super easy for me to start rollerskating and mountain skiing after I turned 35, all proper instincts how to move were perfectly in place, and assuming the athletic position (knees are bended while body is leaning forward) became a second nature for me. I just have to add that I am naturally clumsy, especially in ball games.

      Delete
  2. I like the fact that you started with netball - it's a game I've always enjoyed and especially at more Senior Level, and I don't mean 60's age-group I mean County or National level it is a very fast moving game.

    Whether you may be watching a sports game or even out shopping you do see many toddlers drinking fizzy drinks, clutching packets of crisps given to them by their parents to try and ensure a quiet shopping trip. You also see the more obese buying the cereal packets, biscuits and cake bars. Should we interfere face to face? That is up to the individual to decide.

    Parenting is not easy, we each have to make our own decisions. Many of us talk to others, read blogs or Forums that does help - can give thoughts and advice on different matters.

    At the end of the day, we make decisions on our day to day lives - we do our best.

    As to any other matters the world can be a mad-house at times, I try to keep my small part of the world peaceful and definitely LCHF.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. About same sex marriage - I used to have an immediate supervisor who was a homosexual. He was as close to a perfect human being as it is humanly possible. After working with him, I would never sneer at homosexuals. They exist, period. Let them live their life like us - to marry, to be recognized by a majority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chips, good to read your thoughts again. I was beginning to worry that you might have needed to hole up in the Patagonian embassy after recent writings.

    Whilst I have to admit that in the same way that some people are colour-blind I am sports-blind, I think you have kicked a few decent goals here, pity it's not heads in Canberra that are being kicked. I guess that I won't have to make that difficult decision between my toaster and my axolotl for some time yet.


    C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Galina, Lori, Jan, C.

    Memories of my grandma usually involve her making scones with jam and cream, shortbread and all sorts of food that we thought was magic. She was a wonderful woman. Seeing her with diabetes and dementia before she passed was profoundly saddening. I hope this post doesn't come across as me suggesting I feed my kids the perfect diet - that is definitely not the case, I just try to minimised the rubbish and educate them about the damage that excess sugar can do.

    C, if my privacy posts are a testing of the waters, it seems I am of no interest to the NSA. That's good, cause I have no Pat embassy contacts. I watched a short doco the other day about Abdul Khadr, the Canadian who was captured and sent to Guantanamo at age 15/16 and released from jail 13 years later. Predictably, the Canadian Gov is not happy about him being released. The mental toughness of the prisoners is astounding, and I admit that it may be one of the times when faith and religion may be very beneficial.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's always the thought police to be watching out for, in their detector vans, so I'm glad to see you have an AFDB segment.


    C.

    ReplyDelete