Saturday, 18 July 2015

That Sugar Film - speed review


Watch it.

It's not flawless but it's above average and worth a look. It's now available for download or purchase on DVD in some parts -  see the link above.

It's a bit annoying in parts when they dance around the topic of "good fats" without explaining exactly what that means to them, but I s'pose if they were to pronounce the wonders of animal fat, they may be seen to be going off the sugar track and lose most of their target audience.

I imagine something along the lines of: "That Sugar Film is great, but then they go all Atkins and totally lose the plot. Shame they refuse to see the truth that is the Heart Foundation's brilliant message".

Other than that, listening to big boy Stephen Fry talk about nutrition is a bit surreal, but that's as far as the negatives go.

There'll always be the nutters who say they eat 50 cumquats a day and have super strength and immortality and that sugar is a super food, but unfortunately these same people just refuse to stop being demented pricks.

I've watched quite a few of these types of films and this one is probably up there among the best in terms of production quality, content and overall ease of viewing. The science is, of course, generalised and you could pick a few holes in it here or there, but for the target audience it's intended for (everyone who isn't totally set in their vegan/fruitarian ways) I think it hits a pretty good sweet spot.






4 comments:

  1. Yes, lots of sugar! I was in line at Starbucks and overheard an order for a coffee with 5 pumps of sweetened flavor (chocolate something) anyway, I was aghast that anyone would order something that sweet. The Barista said, "that's nothing we have people order 10 or so pumps!"
    No wonder we have CVD and Obesity so rampant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Larcana. Interesting. Juice bars seem to do a roaring trade these days as well - there must be a lot of slim people (who appear to be their main customers) with high blood sugar levels and a pissed off pancreas. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. It's a good film but amazing that a sensible person would consider doing that to themselves. Foods which are not as sweet as the things he is eating just make my teeth hurt with the sheer insult.

    One of the reviews I read was describing it as a cut down version of super-size me, completely missing the point. Then they quoted some toxic nutritionist's advice which had me rolling on the floor with a mixture of laughter and agony.

    I'm ordering copies of the school kits of this doco for two schools I work at. It should stir up their 'healthy eating' policies which are similar to the one you were writing about recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello PTC, I've also heard that comparison, which I agree, is sad. I can never bring myself to watch that film because the theory sounds idiotic. That I've read the background 'story' on his vegan friend's influence doesn't help.

      TSF being shown in schools would be excellent. I'm with you - nutritionists who attempt a defence on sugar are quite entertaining. Just like a rep from Coke or Pepsi who say their product is part of a balanced diet.

      Cheers.

      Delete