Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Food reward plus more insanity in the fridge

I eat quite a bit of dark (85%) chocolate. Combined with almonds or macadamias, it makes for a tasty and rewarding snack. 

I also like salt. It's like butter in that it goes with pretty much everything you can put in your mouth. 

A little while ago I had the brilliant idea to steal an idea from the internet and combine all these delicious things together in the one, readily digestible form. I turned out well. A bit too well.

Chocolate, butter, macadamias and rock salt make for some serious food reward. 


Looks a little disgusting. Tastes the opposite.
I couldn't eat it all in one go, but the 100g block of chocolate that would normally last almost a week, was through my digestive system in a matter of 3 days. It was almost enough to make me consciously cut back on other calories. I haven't done it again, but it's tempting.

To venture off in the opposite direction, I happened to find a curious item for sale in the meat section of the local shop the other day. (speaking of which, our major supermarkets have recently started selling lard again. Woo-hoo, a win for the whiney fat-lovers!) I'm a keen observer of the fascinating methods butchers use to entice consumers, but this was something breathtakingly bold. And profoundly sad at the same time.
Well, Clarice, have the lambs stopped screaming?
This package of sadness, at $45 a kilo, cost almost $7 for 2 mouthfuls of lamb. It was so heartbreaking I had to laugh to ward off the tears that I felt brewing. 

Not really, real men born before 1990 don't cry. Not in public and certainly not in the fridge. But what was the butcher thinking? I am reluctant to brush it off as some wet-behind-the-ears apprentice, too naive to realise that his/her profession is supposed to value and treasure animal products, because what I thought was a one-off mistake earlier this year, is now obviously the norm:
Lamb. With or without flavour.
This outrage and sadness is not about charging $9 per kilo more for taking most of the deliciousness and goodness from a meal. Actually it is, a bit, but it's also about the humans who consciously pay more for an inferior product.

I don't care about the people who pay for soy products because they are clearly unstable, and as far as I'm aware, soy production doesn't involve raising a lovely animal then throwing its edible bits away because of all sorts of unAustralian insanity. 

Stop the madness. Say NO to 'extra trim' anything. 

7 comments:

  1. Those skinny things look like poor little anorectic supermodels - superchops?

    Perversely to that when I was slicing up some pork belly for breakfast today I was trimming off the meaty portions and wondering whatever I could do with them some other time, and also wondering if I could get the butcher to carve the lean part away when I buy it and just sell me the nice fatty part. For a good discount of course!



    C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband cooked a roast recipe he found, wrapping a piece of pork belly around a loin, with seasonings. After trying it, we concluded we need to make it again ... with JUST the pork belly! Modern low-fat pork loin totally sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid no amount of fat wrapping could save a modern pork lion. It is as low in fat as it is possible to get.

      Delete
  3. That's good your local supermarkets are selling lard again!

    That's so sad about the lamb ...

    Hey Happy September whatever happened to January - August?

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to figure out where the last few years went, Jan. :)

      Have a good one.

      Delete
  4. Chips, even the pork chops here are now looking like those tragic lamb chops. To my eyes, and taste, one of the great beauties of a porkchop is that plump tail of juicy fatty meat.



    C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, C. And they seem to be random in whether the skin has been taken off or not. Taking the skin off a pork chop should be a whippable offence. Or at least something the Border Force should investigate - random stop and search for 'suspects' holding shopping bags.

      Delete